NYC's Dept. of Aging provides scores of resources for its citizens, including:
- Locations of senior centers around the city which provide help and entertainment, such as art, music, and dance classes, walking clubs, yoga, and tai chi, chronic disease self-management classes for people with arthritis, diabetes, and high blood pressure, nutrition and other workshops, benefits screenings (Medicare, Medicaid, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, and other programs), technology classes, recreational trips, transportation, lunch (some centers also serve breakfast), and holiday and birthday celebrations.
- In-home services that could include housekeeping, meal preparation, counseling on long-term care issues, friendly visits, and home-delivered meals.
- Health insurance resources and answers.
- Employment services and training.
- Transportation and bill paying help.
Commissioner for the Department of Aging
2 Lafayette St.
New York, NY 10007
Managed by the Age Friendly Foundation
Nice neighborhood, proximity to parks, restaurants, shops... . As a "solo ager" it is a challenge to find community involvement with those in a comparable situation.
All ages are offered opportunties for education, employment and employment.
Being in a major metro area, there are a number of very good services in order to age friendly. Transportation is very good with buses and trains. Seniors in various neighborhoods look out for one another. Hospitals and clinics are also very good. Volunteer opportunities are plentiful as are adult rd courses.
It is an historic town here On Long Island that people seem to honor and cherish it's history and community. Many people have lived here for decades and call it home. Many of the same stores, businesses and resturants still exist here and the owners know may of their customers for years. People may come and go, but the heart of the community remains. The elder people here know the history of the town and tell some fascinating stories about it.
Senior Living Communities
Explore Home Care Options Near You
Consider the benefits of an in-home caregiver. Care can range from 1 hour a day, to a few hours a week, to full time. Connect to a trusted provider today.
Find a Financial Professional Near You
With 9,000 financial professionals available across the nation and 4,500 on MassMutual.com, MassMutual is committed to helping you secure your future.
How did New York earn the grade of C? We examined the state taxes based on how age friendly they are. New York has a state sales tax of 4.00%. Of particular interest is that New York does not have taxes on social security. There are estate taxes. There are no taxes imposed on inheritance. New York has an effective property tax rate of 1.65%. Weighing these taxes and other taxes most likely to impact the aging population is how New York earned its state tax grade of C.
Learn more about taxes in New York