Medfield is a town in Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States.
The population is 12,024 according to the 2010 Census. It is an affluent community, about 17 miles southwest of Boston, Massachusetts, which is a 40-minute drive to Boston's financial district. Attractions include the Hinkley Pond and the Peak House.
Medfield's Free Public Library began in 1873. The public library is located on Main Street. In the late 18th century some of the residents of Medfield and surrounding towns formed a subscription library, called the Medfield Social Library.
- On the third Saturday of September, Medfield Employers & Merchants Organization hosts Medfield Day in Medfield Center, which is an annual celebration of the town.
- On the first Friday of December, Medfield Employers & Merchants Organization hosts the annual tree lighting in Baxter Park in Medfield Center.
- On the Saturday following the first Friday of December, Medfield Employers & Merchants Organization organizes the annual Winter parade which takes place on the streets near Medfield Center.
- On the first Sunday of December, Medfield Foundation hosts the angel run, which is an annual 5k fundraising road race, held to raise money to support people in need in the town.
Medfield State Hospital
One of many abandoned buildings on the grounds of the former Medfield State Hospital.
Medfield State Hospital, located at 45 Hospital Road, opened in 1896 and originally operated on 685 acres (2.77 km2) of pasture. At its peak in 1952, it housed 1,500 patients. By 2001, it was down to about 300 acres (1.2 km2) and employed 450 people (including four psychologists) to care for a maximum of 147 patients. The cost to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts was $21.5 million. On April 3, 2003, the doors were closed. Although the buildings are not open to the public (they have been boarded up), the grounds may be visited during daylight hours.
- The film The Box was filmed at the hospital in December 2007.
- The film Shutter Island started prepping February 2008 and started filming at Medfield State Hospital in March 2008.
- The film X-Men: The New Mutants starting filming at Medfield State Hospital Summer of 2017.
Managed by the Age Friendly Foundation
Senior Living Communities
Explore Home Care Options Near You
Consider the benefits of an in-home caregiver. Care can range from 1 hour a day, to a few hours a week, to full time. Connect to a trusted provider today.
Find a Financial Professional Near You
With 9,000 financial professionals available across the nation and 4,500 on MassMutual.com, MassMutual is committed to helping you secure your future.
How did Massachusetts earn the grade of C? We examined the state taxes based on how age friendly they are. Massachusetts has a state sales tax of 6.25%. Of particular interest is that Massachusetts does not have taxes on social security. There are estate taxes. There are no taxes imposed on inheritance. Massachusetts has an effective property tax rate of 1.21%. Weighing these taxes and other taxes most likely to impact the aging population is how Massachusetts earned its state tax grade of C.
Learn more about taxes in Massachusetts