Detroit is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Michigan, the largest city on the United States–Canada border, and the seat of Wayne County.
Detroit Area Agency on Aging:
To educate, advocate and promote healthy aging to enable people to make choices about home and community-based services and long-term care that will improve their quality of life.
What They Do:Assist older adults, adults with disabilities and caregivers by removing social, economic, physical and psychological barriers and creating aging friendly neighborhoods through nutrition, health and wellness and senior independence. Our programs and services include:
- Information and Assistance (I&A) call center to help find local resources
- Nutrition Services hot, frozen or liquid nutrition for homebound seniors and adults with disabilities
- Health and Wellness workshops to help improve fitness, reduce falls, control and monitor diabetes, and manage chronic diseases and heart disease
- Clinical Services home care support
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman assistance and advocacy for long-term care facility residents
- Medicaid-Medicare Assistance Program (MMAP) free health insurance counseling for Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries and their families or caregivers
- Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) on-the-job training for seniors who are 55 years or older
- Community Wellness Service Center (CWSC) community-based educational opportunities that promote healthy aging lifestyles
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Committee (GRGC) a collaboration of agencies working to support grandparents and kinship caregivers
- Advocacy to help make sure seniors’ voices are heard
Detroit, MI 48207
Managed by the Age Friendly Foundation
Senior Living Communities
Explore Home Care Options Near You
Consider the benefits of an in-home caregiver. Care can range from 1 hour a day, to a few hours a week, to full time. Connect to a trusted provider today.
Find a Financial Professional Near You
With 9,000 financial professionals available across the nation and 4,500 on MassMutual.com, MassMutual is committed to helping you secure your future.
How did Michigan earn the grade of B? We examined the state taxes based on how age friendly they are. Michigan has a state sales tax of 6.00%. Of particular interest is that Michigan does not have taxes on social security. There are no estate taxes. There are no taxes imposed on inheritance. Michigan has an effective property tax rate of 1.71%. Weighing these taxes and other taxes most likely to impact the aging population is how Michigan earned its state tax grade of B.
Learn more about taxes in Michigan