Orangeburg, also known as The Garden City, is the principal city in and the county seat of Orangeburg County, South Carolina, United States.
The population of the city was 13,964 according to the 2010 United States census. The city is located 37 miles southeast of Columbia, on the north fork of the Edisto River in the Piedmont area. Two historically black institutions of higher education are located in Orangeburg: Claflin University (a liberal arts college) and South Carolina State University (a public university).
* Orangeburg Municipal Airport
* Southeastern Stages
* U.S. Route 301
* U.S. Route 601
* U.S. Route 21
* U.S. Route 178
* South Carolina Highway 4
* South Carolina Highway 33
The following table shows Orangeburg's crime rate in 6 crimes that Morgan Quitno uses in its calculations for "America's most dangerous cities" rankings, in comparison to 10,000 people. The statistics provided are not for the actual number of crimes committed, but for the number of crimes committed per capita.
Colleges and universities
* Claflin University, founded in 1869, is the oldest historically black university in the state of South Carolina. In 2014 it was ranked by Washington Monthly as the top liberal arts college in the state and the top HBCU in the country.
* South Carolina State University is 4-year public historically Black institution in Orangeburg, funded in 1896.
* Orangeburg–Calhoun Technical College is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges and is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award associate degrees.
* Orangeburg Consolidated School District Three
* Consolidated School District Four
* Orangeburg Consolidated School District Five
* Orangeburg-Wilkinson Senior High School
* OCSD5 High School for Health Professions
* Felton Laboratory Charter School
* Orangeburg Preparatory Schools, Inc.
* Orangeburg Christian Academy
Orangeburg has a public library, a branch of the Orangeburg County Library.
Managed by the Age Friendly Foundation
Senior Living Communities
Explore Home Care Options Near You
Consider the benefits of an in-home caregiver. Care can range from 1 hour a day, to a few hours a week, to full time. Connect to a trusted provider today.
Find a Financial Professional Near You
With 9,000 financial professionals available across the nation and 4,500 on MassMutual.com, MassMutual is committed to helping you secure your future.
How did South Carolina earn the grade of B? We examined the state taxes based on how age friendly they are. South Carolina has a state sales tax of 6.00%. Of particular interest is that South Carolina does not have taxes on social security. There are no estate taxes. There are no taxes imposed on inheritance. South Carolina has an effective property tax rate of 0.57%. Weighing these taxes and other taxes most likely to impact the aging population is how South Carolina earned its state tax grade of B.
Learn more about taxes in South Carolina