Mill City is a city in Linn and Marion counties in the U.S. state of Oregon. The population was 1,855 at the 2010 census. It is on the North Santiam River, downstream from Detroit Lake.
The Linn County portion of Mill City is part of the Albany–Lebanon Micropolitan Statistical Area, while the Marion County portion is part of the Salem Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The Mill City Logue was published by Al and Arlene Van Dahl from 1926 to 1933. In 1931, they started Western Stamp Collector as a supplement to the Logue. It grew so quickly that in 1933, they closed down the Logue and moved to Albany, Oregon. Al Van Dahl died in 1954. Arlene Van Dahl continued publishing the then semi-weekly, national newspaper until 1976, when she sold it to Jackson Newspapers. (Jackson Newspapers was sold to Capital Cities Communications, later Capital Cities/ABC, which dropped the word "Western" from the name and changed it back to weekly. Capital Cities/ABC was sold to Disney Corp. in 1995. Krause Publications of Iola, Wisconsin, bought Van Dahl Publications, then publishing Stamp Collector newspaper and The Stamp Wholesaler magazine, from Disney in 1996. Stamp Collector ceased publication in 2003.)
From 1998 until 2014, the Mill City Independent Press (formerly known as the Enterprise) covered local news. It was owned by Phil Foster and then by Bill Downer, a former logger and former mayor of Mill City, and his wife Judy Downer.
The area is currently served by The Canyon Weekly, started in 2010 by Karen & Tim Widmer and Michelle Gates.
The Mill City railroad bridge, now a pedestrian bridge is a Phoenix Column Bridge, built by Phoenix Iron Works, Phoenixville, PA It was manufactured in 1888, moved to San Jose, CA then Lake Oswego, Oregon then to Mill City Oregon, installed 1919. Abandoned by Southern Pacific railroad around 1967 and used as a pedestrian and bike bridge. Current restoration efforts are being undertaken by the 'Save our Bridge" Foundation.
Mill City is served by a non commercial 100 watt community radio station that went on the air in 2014. KYAC LP 94.9. Is an all volunteer radio station that serves Mill City, Gates, Lyons, Mehama, Elkhorn and the Little North Fork. It is owned by Santiam Hearts to Arts.
Managed by the
Age Friendly Foundation